Created January 8, 2013 by Trevor Beck and Ronnie Bincer
Using PresentationsSetup before starting your hangout
- From Google Drive (not the Google Drive for Hangouts tool) open your presentation document (typically will open in a new tab).
- Move new tab (Presentation) into a new browser window.
- Using the dropdown menu (Present) in the upper right, select “Present with Speaker Notes”.
- Resize the presentation window to remove any black bars (optional).
Once the hangout has started and you’re ready to give your presentation:
- Select Screenshare App from within the Hangout window.
- Select the presentation browser window to share.
- Bluebox yourself to keep your presentation window front even when others speak.
- Use the speaker notes window to drive the presentation forward by clicking on the thumbnail for the next slide.
Note: this will provide you with a browser window that will allow you to display your presentation, as well as open additional tabs to surf the web. Any tabs opened on this window will be viewable through the screenshare.
- you can adjust the size of the fonts for the speaker notes using the minus and plus signs at the top right of the Speaker Notes window. Or you can start the speaker notes at a larger size to begin with.
- for a more focused presentation, you can present the window without tabs by selecting “Present in new window” first.
- you can resize the slide window to a smaller size to give you more room on your desktop. Caution: this may slightly affect the displayed content size in the hangout.
- if you add animation to objects or transitions between slides that are set to appear on click, you can click on the thumbnail in the speaker notes. Do not advance by using the slide numbers drop-down menu below the thumbnails.
- your cursor will be visible to your audience (it’s a screenshare). Place your cursor away from the window if you don’t want it visible. (Could be a Bonus... for pointing to things in the live presentation... like a laser pointer). If you do utilize the pointer as part of the presentation, then use your Arrow Keys to advance the presentation.
- if you are presenting by yourself through Hangouts on Air (HOA), your screenshare will automatically display at full screen (no filmstrip will be visible to your audience). If there are other participants in the HOA, you can achieve the same effect of full screen by video-muting the participants’ video thumbnails in the filmstrip (Cameraman technique).
- remember to bluebox yourself/your screenshare so that others can talk without interrupting the display
- participants using mobile devices will be able to view the screenshare - they cannot collaborate on documents within the Hangout.
- remember not to use fast transitions for slides and objects (minimum of 2 seconds)
- if using your mouse as a pointer, make it larger
- Macs: System Preferences → Accessibility → Display
- Windows: Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Devices and Printers → Mouse
#hangouttips #hangouts #googledriveinhangouts